Monday, June 28, 2010

Make: Popcorn Hat

by Designing Mom April of Shibumi Gallery


My boy doesn't like baby blue. So being a discerning mom myself I decided to give them all away to someone who does. As the pile of clothes sat in my office I had this thought that I could dye some of the ones that I liked the cotton material of. So I did. I used good old Rit dye. I am sure there are more natural dyes but being a working mom with my three month old son. I opted for what I knew I could get quickly. My first batch was a blue that I like to call Indigo....and I dyed everything that I imagined would look good.

The hat and some of his onesies got special treatment. I used popping corn and small hair rubber bands to make small irregular circles.


Instructions:
1- Put popcorn under fabric and stretch tightly rubber band around each kernel
2- Make a pattern or just use a random pattern.
3- Bucket add hot boiling water to fill
4- Rit dye~ color of choice, Stir in dye
5- Let sit for a couple hours if dye is older might want to leave in overnight
6- Do a general rinsing by hose or sink
7- Wash in washing machine on hot, wash only the same color of clothing you just dyed
8- Remove rubber bands and corn
9- Dry in dryer

Below hat, t-shirt and overalls all dyed in the same bath. Then I sewed a patch over the overall logo!


Next is my chocolate brown batch......!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

with his little hat and lavendar...too cute!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails