Monday, February 23, 2009

Designing Moms: Meet Tori

A classic Tori Higa card is a black and white illustrated girl wearing a vintage fabric kerchief and I have come to know Tori to be as sweet and charming as her gorgeous creations! I was so delighted and flattered when she asked me to be a part of her book, "Today's Top Stationery Artists." Finally meeting her in person in New York when we were both at a stationery show was icing on the cake. I am so delighted to introduce our latest Designing Mom to all of you!


Name: Tori

What I do: I have had my own handmade greeting card company for the last five years, but since having a baby I have recently decided to focus solely on designing so now I license my work for an innovative online card company called Cardstore.com and license my handmade card designs for Sanctuary Press (a division of International Sanctuary which is a non profit organization that empowers survivors of human trafficking). I also love to take on custom projects from time to time. I LOVE being able to work as a designer from a home studio and spend time with my little guy. For me, it's the perfect balance.

My family: I am not currently expecting (but hope to be within the next year or so). I have a 16-month-old son who keeps me very busy.

What inspires me: Finding time for creativity is just a way of life for me, which is why I think I feel inspired to continue to design while also fully embracing motherhood. I feel inspired to take on the challenge to be a designer as well as a mother – and part of me even feels like I don't have a choice. It's just who I am.

What a day in my life is like: One of my favorite things about being a "designing mom" is that each day is very full and very different. On the perfect day, I'll schedule a playdate at the park in the morning; then, we'll come home for lunch and I'll put him down for a nap. I am then able to get in two hours of work until he wakes up and my favorite babysitters (my parents) come over to take him for a couple of hours in the afternoon so I can get more work done. Then I get to spend the late afternoon and evening with him until dinner, bath, and bedtime by 7pm. My husband and I then have dinner together and try to enjoy a little peace and quiet until the next day when everything starts all over again. To be honest, a lot of times, I end up working at night as well – especially if I don't get babysitting during the day. But it's fun work. :)

7 comments:

jackie kersh said...

i love how you integrate fabric into your designs.

Our Designing Moms said...

welcome tori! as always, I am such an admirer of your cards :).

Anonymous said...

I love your cards! They are so beautiful (as is your family), and I'm thrilled I can buy them online at Cardstore.com. Your personalized thank yous are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

what a great, fun new blog! and in reference to this post: how great to put a face to such a swell known name, and what a beautiful family!

Tori Higa said...

thanks so much for all of the sweet and welcoming comments! it's so nice to be here - i just love that you started this online community, cat - thanks again!

libbydibby said...

hooray for my favorite card designer! I'm glad to see you here on Designing Moms

baby r.t. and house too said...

So fun to see you here Tori! I love your "day in the life of" paragraph. It's so fun to see how other designers work creative and mommy time into their days. Awesome blog Cat!! Kira @ Tiara Designs

Related Posts with Thumbnails